Covers

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Does it take a Village to Raise a Child?

So, my grandson is going on a trip with fifth graders from his school. They left this morning at six and will return tomorrow at two in time for regular parental pick-up.

The camp will be good for all the children, especially those who haven't spent time away from home. My grandson has always been with one family member or another, unless he was in school. The only other times were birthday sleep overs, usually those were all within a ten mile radius.  :)

That led me to consider how protective we've been toward our sweet grandchild. It does take a village to raise a child and we're a huge versatile village.

When my own son was small, I didn't have those resources close-by, except for my sister-in-law for a short time, but he's no worse for the choices I made with close friends to care for him while I worked. He made new friends and people to love him other than family. Too, I worked close enough, most of the time, to pop in to see how his day was going.

My grandson has learned respect for his elders and for that we're grateful. Now, he's definitely all boy and we have issues to deal with like everyone else. Sometimes it's a toss of the coin as to which way to swing a decision, depending on what the issue entails. :) He's also a very polite, independent little man. We respect him as a growing adult also, and for that, I hope he's grateful too. I think most of the time he is.

There's always that moment the parent must step up and decide what's best. We gotta watch out for those manholes! Keep'm safe, while rounding out their education, at home and out there in the world. Naturally, I think each decision depends on the individual child.

I wonder how many of you have had a family village to care for your child, or children? What are your thoughts on what works best?

Carol DeVaney

6 comments:

  1. Very nice post. When my children were young, some very nice neighbors had kids the same age as mine so I knew where I could allow them to go because I always knew who was going to be watching them. They were rarely out of sight from any of us and it offered them a measure of freedom while we sat by the window.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Linda! You were blessed with caring neighbors, an extended family. We had a dear friend who watched my son after school many days. Hers was the house where all the children gathered for snacks, ball, whatever. I miss her. On the freedom? Yes. Children don't need to know we have an eye on them at all times. :) Thank you so much for visiting. I enjoyed reading your comment. You're welcome anytime. Maybe we'll have a spot of tea next time!

      Delete
  2. It does take a village. Even other parents who you may never meet will send their kids to the same school as yours and what they do to influence their kids will be an influence on our kids and vice versa. Nice post, Carol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree it takes a lot of people to raise a child if they're to be well-rounded adults. Thank goodness for wonderful parents whose influential children are grounded and worthy of their upbringing. Thanks so much for visiting! Your comment was right-in! Please visit again and I'll break out the coffee pot! :)

      Carol DeVaney

      Delete
  3. Owen is in the 5th grade already??? My, how time flies. He is such a dear.
    *hugs*
    ~JD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Fifth grade, can you believe it? Thanks, June, we think he's the best ever!

      Delete