Covers

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Favorite Vegetables

Corn is too good! Despite the carb content, I guess corn is one of my favorite vegetables.

You can boil, fry, grill, cream, make a casserole, add to soups or other dishes.

The other night we grilled ears of corn. I wanted to grill with the shuck on, but opted to remove the shuck, butter and wrap in foil. We ate corn on the cob. After grilling, it's also delicious to cut off the cob and saute in salt and butter for about five minutes. What a terrific flavor!

Speaking of vegetables, my neighbor left a cucumber plant on my doorstep a few weeks ago. We've closed off most of the yard and don't have room for a garden any longer. Not wanting the plant to wither and die, I stuck the plant in a five gallon planter. I had no idea whether it would live or not. Last week there were fruits about the size of my finger. Yesterday I checked and found one that was almost six inches long. So I didn't manage to kill the poor plant!

Hubby doesn't eat cucumbers, so that cucumber is going on my plate tonight. Hubby ate cucumber a couple of years ago when I added some to fried squash and onion. He never knew the difference. Cucumbers are healthy, so I figured they wouldn't hurt him. : )

Fried cucumber is to die for. If you've never had them, please give them a try. They have somewhat of a fried green tomato flavor, if the tomato has a bit of pink running through the meat. Fried green tomatoes are another to die for dish. Yum! There are many recipes for fried green tomatoes, but I found this one by Guy Fieri. I haven't tried it yet, but the days coming when I will. Love horseradish sauce on the side, and he has a recipe on this site. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guy-fieri/fried-green-tomatoes-with-horseradish-cream-recipe/index.html

Green tomatoes are delicious added to fried okra also.

I could go on and on about vegetables, but enough is enough. Besides, all this talk of food has made me hungry!

What's your favorite vegetable?

Carol DeVaney

No comments:

Post a Comment