Covers

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Sighted or Visually Impaired, We're Still All the Same


Last weekend we traveled to Nashville, Tennessee. Despite its May,  2010 devastating flood, the city full of history has come back strong. It's as beautiful as ever.

I have so many fun filled memories of Nashville. The old Ryman Auditorium, The Grand Old Opry, Tootsie's Bar & Grill, Printer's Alley, Music Row, The Hermitage, Belle Meade Plantation, Belmont Mansion,  to name a few. If you're planning a trip to Nashville, be sure to check online for other attractions. You'll not run out of things to do and see.

Also, Donelson, a suburb of Nashville, is home to Tennessee School for the Blind. There are so many musical talents there! The memory of that one place in Nashville, holds a special place in my heart. The children there are strong, and don't feel sorry for themselves. I wonder how many of us sighted people would have the courage to overcome their plight in life? They are my heroes.  

I'm sure there were, and are, famous graduates from the school, but one man in particular comes to mind. I personally met a man named Hargus"Pig" Robbins. Hargus is a quiet, soft spoken, unpretentious man. I'd seen him at the school for a number of years, but had yet to hear his story until last weekend. He'd gotten his nickname from coming in from playing one day. One of the teachers had told him he was dirty as a little pig. Thus, the nickname, "Pig" stuck. Here are a few photos of Hargus with some of the people he played back-up for. Hargus "Pig" Robbins was inducted into the Music Hall of Fame and Museum in 2012.

I wish Hargus had played for us, but we didn't get to hear his music while his fingers tickled the ivory! :)

The next time I see a visually impaired person, I'm going to tip my hat.
Carol DeVaney

2 comments:

  1. Amen, Carol. I, too, admire these folks. I feel the same way about the individuals who belong to "intellectually challenged" groups where music, dance, art, etc are encouraged and lived to the max. No feelings of self-pity, only joy abound.

    This is one of the reasons I am so adamant about getting my books into audio books. I want everyone to be able to enjoy my mysteries, not just sighted folks. If you want to share, there are lots of free excerpts to iTunes, Audible, and Amazon audio books on my site, here: lazarbooks.com/audiobooks.htm Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Paul! I'm happy to find another person who shares my appreciation for the differences that make us all the same. One man I met, said he read 3-4 books a week. I'll be sure to pass on your link to him. Though he may have already read your book! I will also visit your site. Thanks for visiting. Don't be a stranger. :)

    ReplyDelete